A bush fire is burning in the Megalong Valley/Kanimbla Valley area adjacent to the Cox's River.
The fire is currently approximately 3-4 hectares in size and is being controlled by a combination of firefighting units on the ground and helicopters water-bombing from the air. The fire is currently located within the Lithgow Local Government Area. It is partially in an inaccessible area adjacent to the Cox's River between the Kanimbla and Megalong Valleys. This part of the fire will intially be attacked by the helicopters. Firefighters on the ground with light, medium and heavy tankers, from both Lithgow and Blue Mountains Districts are working on the remainder of the fire.
Additional firefighting units and a forward command vehicle are being staged at Megalong Valley for rapid deployment if required.
• Variable based on local conditions
• Fires can be controlled
• Spot fires can occur close to the main fire
• Loss of life unlikely and damage to property will be limited
• Well prepared and actively defended houses can offer safety during a fire
All residents of the Megalong and Kanimbla Valleys, as well as immediately surrounding areas, are advised to monitor conditions in your area.
Check and follow your Bush Fire Survival Plan.
If you do not have a plan, decide what you will do if the situation changes. Leaving early is your safest option.
• If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.
• Continue to stay up to date with the bush fire situation by checking http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/, listening to your local radio station or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737. (1800 NSW RFS)
• For information on road closures, check http://livetraffic.rta.nsw.gov.au/. Roads may be closed without warning.
Further information will be provided as it becomes available.