We wish to advise that a fuel management burn (also called a prescribed burn or hazard reduction) is proposed for the Megalong Valley area this Tuesday. This will consist of prescribed burning of vegetation to reduce the bush fire fuel and assist in reducing the intensity and adverse impact of bush fires in extreme weather conditions.
The prescribed burning will be undertaken by the NSW Rural Fire Service subject to weather conditions. The burn is scheduled for the following day at the following location:
Date Tuesday 6th September 2011
Location Megalong Valley Reserve, Megalong Valley Rd, Megalong Valley
As the prescribed burn will generate smoke, hot embers and heat, it is important that you consider the following:
- Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke entering homes
- Keep outdoor furniture under cover to prevent ember burns
- Retract pool covers to prevent ember damage
- Remove washing from clotheslines
- Ensure pets have a protected area
- If you are driving a vehicle, slow down, keep windows up and turn headlights on
- If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities. If smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice
Avoid approaching this area for some time after the completion of the hazard reduction as there may be falling limbs and trees as well as hot ash. Consult your local brigade for advice on conditions.
A Community Liaison Officer will be in attendance.
Should any further information be required, please contact the District Office at Katoomba on 4784 7444 between 9:00am and 4:30pm. You can also obtain additional information on prescribed burning and property preparedness by accessing the NSW Rural Fire Service website at www.rfs.nsw.gov.au.
Inspector Eric Berry
Community Safety Officer
NSW RURAL FIRE SERVICE
Blue Mountains District
Cnr Valley and Bathurst Roads
Katoomba NSW 2780
T: 02 4784 7444
M: 0414 195 615
F: 02 4784 7461